Sign up for our mailing list here! Get the latest info about updates and special sales.
Send us a tech support request.
Problems with in-app purchases? See our page on troubleshooting in-app purchase problems.
iPad Pro (USB C models) Now Approved for USB Audio
The USB audio support on the USB C iPads had serious problems, but the worst of them seem to fixed now. The labelling of USB audio devices as “headset mic” has been fixed, as has the incorrect USB gain issue. These models are now full compatible with our USB microphones, uTestMic and uPrecisionMic. Please make sure you update your iPad to the latest iOS 13 release.
However, some problems are still remaining:
- No support for legacy MFi products, even with adapters. iTestMic2 and iPrecisionMic will not work at all, even with an adapter. No plans to add this, according to Apple.
- No support for USB HID controls. This means we cannot provide an iAudioInterface2 control panel. Apple also has not plans on adding this support, although we are hopeful for iOS 14.
Q: I downloaded the app, but its not on the screen Where is it?
A: iOS 15 has a habit of hiding apps after downloading. See this tip
Q: How can I reset my Studio Six Digital account password?
A: Follow these steps:
Q: My iPad won’t run iOS 12, can I get an older copy of the app from you?
A: You can get it from the App Store. Check out this link on installing the last compatible iOS app
Q: Is it OK to update to the iOS 16.x?
A: Sure, iOS 16.2 or later is fine to use now. All apps have been updated. But please do not stay on iOS 16.0, it is buggy.
Q: My in-app purchases are gone! Now what?
A: Short answer, tap any one that is locked and select Restore Purchases. For lots more information, check our in-app purchase troubleshooting page.
Q: Can’t Find In-App Purchases?
A: Here’s a checklist. For in-app purchases to work, all of these must be true:
- Apple ID: you must be logged into the same Apple ID that the app was bought with. Apple still does not allow moving apps between accounts.
- App: It must be the same app. Note that we have AudioTools, Sound Tools, and then a number of standalone apps.
- Country: You must be logged into the App Store for the same country that the app was bought in.
- Not a beta app: You must be running the app purchased from the App Store, not a TestFlight app.
- Keychain: Your iCloud Keychain must be enabled to record purchases. Settings, tap your user on top, iCloud, Keychain Access > On
Q: My 30-pin adapter and iTestMic are no longer working since I updated to iOS 16. What can I do?
A: It seems that Apple has removed support for 30-pin accessories as of iOS 16.
Q: Dropbox does not seem to be working.
A: Dropbox has cancelled support for our method of saving files. Please use the internal iOS device storage, or iCloud.
Q: I can play one of the download files, but I can download it. How do I do that.
A: It depends on your browser.
- Safari: Click on the Support link at the top of the page, scroll down the menu that pops up highlight Download, then slide over to highlight the STIPA file, and then right-click and select Download Linked File As… and select your destination.
- Chrome: Click on the Support link at the top of the page, then scroll down and click on the Downloads link. For most files, just click on the icon to download it. If it starts to play audio, click on the small mini-menu on the right side of the player, and select Save Audio As…
- Explorer (Windows 10): Click on the Support link at the top of the page, scroll down the menu that pops up highlight Download, then slide over to highlight the STIPA file, and then right-click and select Save Target As… and select your destination.
Q: I can’t get iAudioInterface2 to connect to my computer. How do I do that?
A: See our USB Audio page for full instructions.
Q: I’m using a new Apple ID, how can I move my app purchases over to it?
A: Apple still has no method to transfer purchases between Apple ID accounts. This is for all purchases including apps.
Only apple has access to purchase information and account data.
I have the same situation here. I use my old Apple ID for iTunes store access, you can set this up under your Apple ID in settings, look for Media and Purchases. Here you can add a second ID.
Otherwise, on your new device you can log in to your old ID, download your purchases, and then log back into your new ID.
Q: When I plug in iTestMic, the audio output stops working.
A: Plug in iTestMic first, then plug in the 1/8″ (3.5mm) plug to the iOS device. Apple uses the last device connected for audio, so if you plug in the iTestMic after plugging in the analog connector the output will be routed to iTestMic, rather than the iOS device connector.
Q: The Generator won’t turn on in Transfer Function. Or RTA, sometimes.
A: New behavior, the generator output is only on when the function is running. So tap the play button to start the function running and if the generator is switched on, it will play.
Q: Why can’t a I use a bluetooth speaker for my output signal playback?
A: Now you can! Starting with AudioTools 10.5, Bluetooth devices and Apple AirPlay are supported. See our new Bluetooth and AirPlay page for more information.
Q: The screen looks really dark (or too light!) How do I change it?
A: Go to Settings->General in the app, and turn on High Contrast Mode for the bright white screens, or turn it off for the dark theme.
Q: I upgraded to iOS 99, now I have no audio!
A: If you have no audio input, probably the microphone permission needs to be set: Settings->Privacy->Microphone on for AudioTools. Settings app, not AudioTools.
Q: I can’t download saved data files, what’s wrong?
A: The most common problems are not leaving the Export window open, not having both devices on the same WiFi router, or having a firewall in the router blocking port 9900. Also, we suggest using iCloud for accessing files on other devices.
Q: How do I get rid of the red bar or microphone icon on top of the screen when I exit the app?
A: The red bar indicates that AudioTools is still running in the background. To stop AudioTools from running the background, return to AudioTools, and either stop the running task, or exit back to the menus.
Q: Will AudioTools run on iPad and iPad Mini?
A: Yes, see here for the details.
Q: I bought AudioTools on my iPhone, do I have to pay for it again to get it on my iPad?
A: No, as long as you are logged into the same iTunes store account, Apple allows you to install apps you have bought on other devices without charging you again.
See our “Troubleshooting in-app purchase and standalone app issues” page.
Q: Something is messed up with this app — what do I do?
A: Here are Apple’s general FAQ concerning problems with apps.
Q: Who should buy AudioTools, rather than your individual apps?
A: First, anyone who may be purchasing iAudioInterface. Apple only allows a single app to communicate with an accessory, and this is the app that matches up to iAudioInterface. Second, anyone who has not started downloading our other apps. There are more features available in this app, including more comprehensive calibration, data file export, and of course the convenience of having multiple functions in one app.
Q: I need to re-install AudioTools. Do I have to pay for it again?
A: No. Apple knows what you have bought and will not charge you again, as long as you are logged into the same iTunes account that you used to buy the app the first time.
Q: I already downloaded some of your standalone apps, how can I get these apps in AudioTools without buying them all again?
A: Apple does not give developers a way to provide an upgrade path from one app to another. You have three options here:
1) If you plan on purchasing iAudioInterface, we will be providing a discount based on some of the existing apps that you have already downloaded and paid for. See our AudioTools Upgrade Program page for more information.
2) If you are not planning to buy iAudioInterface, stay with the individual apps. The functionality is very similar.
3) For a few standalone apps, after running them they will also be available in AudioTools. This includes SPL Graph, SPL Pro, FFT, STIPA, and Smaart Spectrum RTA.
Q: How can I find out what version of AudioTools I am running?
A: In AudioTools, go to the Settings menu, General page — look on the bottom of the page.
Q: How do I get the new AudioTools upgrades?
A: Two ways. If your device (iPhone, etc) is on a WiFi network, just open your App Store app, tap Updates on the bottom of the screen, find the new AudioTools row, tap on it, and tap on the Upgrade button.
Or, from your computer, open iTunes, click on the “Apps” icon on the left side of the screen, under Library, and then follow the link on the bottom of the screen for “nn Updates available”, and find the icon for AudioTools and tap Upgrade, or tap Upgrade all if you want all upgrades.
We recommend turning on Automatic Updates in your Settings app on your device.
Q: My iPhone is jailbroken, and I am getting an error message when I try to purchase any of the modules. Is there a workaround?
A: Although we don’t support this directly, it appears to be a problem with something called Appsync. This has worked for some people on the modmyi forum:
- Uninstall appsync
- remove app you want to buy stuff for
- reboot phone
- reinstall app
- reboot phone
- buy in app purchases
Or, see this link for another method.
Q: Why are the SPL readings different on different modules? How does that work:
A: See our “dB vs. dB” page to understand what the SPL numbers mean, and why they might be different on different modules.